Thursday, January 19, 2006

Hello Who is This??

Few months back I had scribbled about how difficult it is to make someone learn my surname…Guess the saying “what goes around comes around” holds very true for this situation. Off late I have been trying to talk to a lot of people as a part of my job hunting process. I talk to people of different nationality and its funny that most often than not I don’t get to realize what their names are. There are times when I had asked 2-3 times and the guy at the other side ends up telling “You can call me…” Guys Iam not disabled with names!!Just that I take time...Probably that’s what he should have been thinking when he saw my name on my resume. In addition to the problems whatever service provider I use my luck with cell phone instrument is always rotten that it would pick up everything else around but the voice..and my luck had been favoring me in such a way that I get to talk to either Mexicans or Chinese. I claim myself reasonably good with getting other names. Now I know how tough it is for the other person to say Srinivasaraghavan…Hats off to my old colleague who used to tell my surname 3 times a day 7 days a week!!

6 comments:

shakuni said...

:)
Job hunt is in vlsi, and slow. Apparently the H1-b cap for 2006 has been reached, and more will be released only in oct.
How about you?

Subhashri said...

@trv
when did u graduate..yea but dont even look into that H1-b cap and stuff..the same thing was dreading all my seniors last year and they got jobs late in the month of May for all those who graduated in Sept..Iam also hoping to make something..this is one of the boring periods..

Usha said...

Hi, I was actually surprised to hear a freind say that the only consideration he had while naming his children was that they should be easy to pronounce - so he named them amla and anil. Already names like Nedunchezhiyan and Tripurasundari are diappearing.
I guess soon there will be a globalisation of names too!

divide_by_zero said...

hey! Thats what the reason was for! btw how do you set up the tamil font for the blog??

mucastic said...

And I call you Boomer!!
No wonder you don't retort to my nicknaming you.

Listen to this. My younger sis, when she joined 1st std at a Gujarat school insisted that her name be pronounced as "Shaambhbhavi"...
S-H-A-M-B-H-A-V-I. They never forgot. But this episode gets replyaed everywhere she goes. WOnder how the goras will address her! Ofcourse Srinivasaraghavan as a surname is tough enuf, imagine such a meaty first name!

Jeseem said...

it is funny to hear some people pronounce ur name. well different people , different ways. As long as we stick with first names, it is fine.

Also the h1b quota limit is closed only for normal people. sonce u hav an ms from us university, u fall in the other 20k quota which is still open and will remain open for some more months.
Best of luck with ur job search and enjoy the vacation time you now hav. ( believe me u will never get such a free time again)